WHAT IS A RESPONSIBLE TRIP?
To Ecoviajeros.org, a responsible travel is a journey where all stakeholders (travelers, accommodation, guides, travel agencies, local authorities and local people) are informed and aware of the positive and negative impacts of tourism on the destination, its ecological, economic and cultural aspects, and put the intention and the resources to optimize these long-term impacts.
Ecoviajeros.org places special emphasis on visits to natural areas and ecotourism activities that facilitate the preservation of biodiversity and natural resources of the host communities.
HOW TO GET A RESPONSIBLE TRIP?
The Jane Goodall Institute works hard in training and development of tourism stakeholders in the territories in which it operates and offers training and reflection for travelers (see Ecoactivities for onsite courses) and establishes criteria for selecting routes and accommodations.
ROUTE AND LODGING SELECTION CRITERIA
The routes chosen in Ecoviajeros.org promote environmental and socio-economic improvement of the destinations, usually disadvantaged in both sides, but with the potential to make tourism an opportunity of access to basic services and ecological sustainability.
The organization criteria when designing the routes and identify needs for improvement and implement the solutions are:
- Water: consume, reuse, quality and wastewater treatment
- Solid waste: reduction, reuse, recycling and final disposal
- Biodiversity: conservation and improvements in nearby ecosystems
- Energy: supply, consume and efficiency, solar panels, energy saving light bulbs
- Construction: sustainable, use of abundant local materials, visual impact
- Noise pollution: for the own establishment or from outside
- Efforts to protect the immediate environment
- Local property
- Local labor
- Access of women and youth
- Child labor control
- Fair trade
- Use of local materials
- Collaboration in conservation activities
- Community or private management involved with the community.
- Minimum aspects of comfort and hygiene in the establishment and others depending on the area (mosquito net, hot water, etc.).